Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

November

Well, it's officially November. November is my favorite month of the year for a few very good reasons: 1) My birthday: November 12th (don't forget!!) and 2) Thanksgiving: the day where calories magically do not count in my head. Scratch that. Calories never count on any holiday/birthday.Thanksgiving, however, is the one day that I really enjoy eating roast beef and shrimp cocktail. Odd combination, I know. In fact, you may be wondering why I would eat such things on a holiday typically dedicated to turkey and stuffing. For those of you that don't have this glorious tradition, let me explain.

I grew up in Northern Virginia about 45 minutes from my Grandma Todd's house. Situated just up the hill from the GW Parkway, she was a short drive from Mount Vernon, the Potomac River, and Washington D.C.. Grandpa had been a Colonel in the Air Force and after his passing and the exodus of the other cousins from the area the only ones left were my little family of 5, my Grandma, and my Aunt. With only 7 to cook for, it seemed silly for Grandma to go to all the fuss of cooking (though my mom always did every year so we could still have leftovers). Sure, she could do it but as my mom likes to say, women should enjoy holidays, too, and slaving all day over a hot stove is not enjoyable. And thus, the tradition of Thanksgiving dinner at the Officer's club at Bowling Air Force Base was born. We'd put on our Sunday best and head up to Grandmas, then caravan over to the base where Grandma's ID would let us all in.

The officer's club was beautiful. They had a real live piano player, piles of delicious rolls bakes into animal shapes, an assortment of pies, and of course, all the traditional Thanksgiving fixings. However, they also had a delicious accompaniment of other food like roast beef, shrimp cocktail, and delicious sides. Growing up in a home where the winter staple was some sort of poultry (cheap and easy)--often several turkeys per year!--I always opted to go with the non-poultry option whenever I got the chance. After feasting buffet style for what seemed like an endless amount of time, we'd retire to Grandmas, our bellies full, to laze away the afternoon before indulging in more pie before the trip home.

Since I grew up and went away to college, I haven't always made it home for Thanksgiving. Some years I spent the season in Provo with an assortment of friends, boyfriends, relatives, and in laws (not all in the same year). Other years I trekked up to Portland to see how the other half of my family celebrated Turkey Day. But a few times, I've made it back for Thanksgiving at the officer's club with Grandma, and I'm happy to say that Spencer was able to join me at least once before her passing last year.

This year, we will feast in Orem and Sandy with the Russell clan, which has it's own delicious set of traditions. Hopefully, Grandma Rosie will make orange rolls, and we will be able to see Scott for the first time in over 2 years as he will return from his mission in the Philippines just in time for the holiday. And hopefully, we will be able to add just one more tradition to the rest: shrimp cocktail.

4 comments:

Bailey said...

I love this! Thanks Megan. I'll have to post mine soon!

Jessy said...

I love hearing about your traditions with Granny. I'm not a fan of shrimp- so enjoy your shrimp cocktail!

M.M. said...

I miss Thanksgiving with granny. :( It was quite fun- I remember all the fun bread and getting dressed up...oh and the guns pointed at us :) that was a fun one. I miss you, but get to see you soon!!!

Love,

The best middle sister

Judy said...

This is very belated, but I just read your post. I remember one year going to the officer's club with Granny and Papa. The girls were in the 3,4,and 5 year range. I got them some punch from this beautiful punch bowl. Granny intercepted, after the girls complained that it tasted "funny". I had given them the Sangria wine punch by mistake. I'm glad they thought it tasted funny. All those dinners were wonderful. It's a lovely memory!