Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

21 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 1

For a while I used to be an avid reader of this blog. I had heard him speak at a BeautiControl conference and it was extremely motivating, inspiring, and uplifting all at the same time. I've enjoyed his blog posts over the last little bit and tried to incorporate some of his suggestions into my own day to day living to increase productivity and reach my goals. After a while though, I just started skimming because there is simply too to read in this world to read absolutely everything. But then today's post stuck out to me, so I thought I'd share it.

In a nutshell, the challenge is relatively simple. You are supposed to take a situation that is hard and frustrates you, then take 3 minutes each day to write down what's good about it, why you appreciate it, and why you're grateful for it. The idea is that changing the way you think about a problem will help you change your perspective on that problem and that specifically employing gratitude as the filter will take it from a negative stumbling block to a positive stepping stone. And so, my goal for the next 21 days is to blog about the things in my life that are hard, yet make me grateful.

Like most people, there is a lot that is right in my life and lot that I wish I could change. Though I may not always admit it, it is hard to do what I do every day. It is hard to work full time, go to school part time, volunteer at the humane society, do BeautiControl on the side, take care of the home, exercise, eat right, and be a loving and supportive spouse to my husband while he goes through medical school. I don't always do everything on that list every day like I should, and when I do get around to doing them, I sometimes don't end up doing them very well. It is hard to be busy, harder still to be bored. It is lonely to be one of a few couples in a young ward full of couples with at least one kid (or one of the way). However, that being said, there is a lot I am grateful for.

I am grateful to live in Wisconsin. I am grateful that Spencer and I had the chance to move here, experience the weather of the Midwest, try out new foods and new customs, and travel the state. I am grateful that the Medical College of Wisconsin has been such a great place to work. It is within walking distance of our apartment, I can call or see Spencer frequently throughout the day because he is also here for school, and the people are generally nice. I am grateful that I have been able to get to know a variety of people here on a professional level, from the department of surgery to the bioethics center to the office of research. I'm grateful that I found a degree program that allowed me to work full time, but still get a master's degree. I'm grateful that the first two years I did the program, I was in a job that had more flexibility and more time to work during the day.

And...time's up. I encourage you all to give this a try, if not on your blogs, in your journal/notebooks/whatever. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: