Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Disney Disillusionment

I can't remember if I've blogged about this before, but it was on my mind this morning and I felt the need to share. I know I've mentioned it in passing to some of my friends out here in Wisconsin, so if you've heard this before--I'm sorry.

A few weeks (perhaps months) ago I was watching Monsters, Inc with my best friend's 4 year old. She was completely enthralled in the movie with that glazed-eyed stare people get when they've been staring at the TV for way to long. The other adults present were no doubt engaged in something much more sophisticated and adult that the kids movie, but I, too, was engrossed in the movie.

And then a funny thing happened. Instead of enjoying the happy ending like I should have, I started to analysis it. Sully and Mike discover that laughter is more productive than scream. That means that Mike meets his quota after 1 door. That means there's no more energy crisis. That means that the price of energy goes down. That means that they make less profit. That means that there will be cutbacks. That means that some of the monsters will lose their jobs. That means that the happy ending wasn't so happy after all, from an economic standpoint that is.

It was at that moment I felt really, really old.

PS: Belle has Stockholm syndrome and Ariel can't be happy without totally changing her body. Oh, and Snow White shouldn't just be waiting around for her prince to show up. She should be out there living her life instead of putting it on hold until some man comes along. And Cinderella needs therapy for all the abuse her dad put her through by marring her step-mom. Seriously though! Is this what we want ingrained in our daughter's minds?

1 comment:

Cam E. O. said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I love it!