Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Shopping: A Love/Hate Relationship

In the last few days I discovered the joy that is shopping. I think desire to shop first crept into my brain when I started watching "What Not to Wear" right after I got home from work (This is why our husbands don't like it when we watch this show, by the way). The contestants get a whole $5000 to spend on an entirely new wardrobe, plus they get a complete hair/makeup styling session with some of the industry's greatest talents. Soon I was staring at my own wardrobe and wondering if perhaps I shouldn't weed out some of the overly-worn out and ill-fitting items that gummed up my closet and were so much easier to throw on than the nicer pieces I owned. Unfortunately, it also made me want to shop to fill out the newly made gaps with some pieces that would have the potential to take my wardrobe from drab to fab.

It started out innocently enough. A new shirt for my job interview from Banana Republic. Then a great deal on sweaters at the Gap. Then a sweet coupon for 40% off online at Banana. And then some great shoe finds at Macy's, pants for Spencer, and an Amazon order filled with pair after pair of deliciously low-priced sandals. With each click of the mouse or swipe of the card I triumphantly purchased my exciting new article of clothing/pair of shoes.

At first, I was in blissful state of pure and utter joy--but today, I rediscovered why I hate shopping. No, it wasn't the amount of money I'd spent. No, it wasn't even that I had buyer's remorse over getting things I didn't need. It had more to do with one teeny simple problem: sexy shoes hurt my feet and ordering clothes online lends to them not fitting, thus requiring you to return them. Yup, that's right. I now have a pile of shoes and clothes that need to be returned to their respective stores. Are the sandals I got the most flashy cute shoes imaginable? Yes. But they also cut into my feet and hurt like h-e-double-hockey-sticks. Do the Banana Republic tops live up to their exceptionally high price tag and make me look ever so chic? No. No, they do not. They look good, but no where near as good as they need to look for me to justify keeping them. And so, though it may return my credit card to a (slightly) less egregious balance, I'm stuck with the chore of lugging all this stuff back only so I can head out and try to find things that will work yet again. I worked so hard to get it right the first time that it's really irritating me that I have to try again. Ah well, such is life.

If at first you don't succeed, buy buy again!

1 comment:

Aubrey Jane said...

I hate that too and it happens to me all the time! I'm glad I'm not the only one. That's why I shop for my kids more than myself. I rarely return anything I get for them.