Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Things I Learned From Hamsters

Spencer has often remarked that I have rather hamster-like tendencies. With the acquisition of a new furry friend, I thought it'd be fun to share some of the things I've learned from my pet hamsters.

  1. Cardio is much better then weight lifting (at least it's more fun). Make sure you have a wheel (or in my case, exercise bike) in your home so you can get in a good workout every day.
  2. Food is good. Stuff as much of it in your mouth as you can and then stash it around your home, office, car, etc. I, unfortunately, have taken this rule to heart.
  3. Never give up. No matter how hard it may seem, keep trying to get out of the cage even though you've never been able to pull it off before. In my case, this means going back for more school and checking out new work opportunities.
  4. Find creative solutions to your problems. Hurley managed to stop his wheel from spinning by piling his bedding around it so he could climb on top to get out. He didn't manage the getting out part, but he did make it on top of the wheel!
  5. When presented with an opportunity, make a run for it. Juliet seems to have this one down pat since she attempted to scamper off every time her paws hit the ground this evening.
  6. Always sleep curled up in a comfortable ball with your bedding cradling you. This means I get all the blankets! :P
  7. Don't poke the bear. Never poke a sleeping animal or a sleeping Megan. We don't like it. Enough said.
  8. Protest your annoyance, but never bite. OK, so some hamsters bite, but only if the human is doing something stupid. Hurley never bit, but he did growl to let me know he was ticked at me for breaking #7. What can I say; I'm still a kid at heart!
  9. Bathe daily and keep your house clean. So I'm still working on half of this one. (Not the bathing part).
  10. And finally, cuteness is always rewarded. 'Tis better to be cute than not. Cute hamsters (and people) get treats!
No pictures of Juliet yet. I haven't been able to locate the camera since Spencer dismantled the living room to make room for his new TV (I'll post about that later). Also, I have a midterm paper due on Wednesday that currently consists of 4 paragraphs and several one sentence things like, "look up that lecture" or "write about the Drahne's sliding scale for consent." Until I finish that and find the camera, be content to know that Juliet is currently on her second hour of running in her wheel. May we all have the energy in the morning! Goodnight.

No comments: