Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

M.I.A.

Since giving birth about a week ago, there hasn't been too much hamster action at the Russell house. It seems like Juliet only comes out to eat, drink, and then use the facilities before rushing back to her nest. When I do see her though, she looks rather larger and grumpy. It would seem that the surprise pregnancy has taken it's toll. Then again, who can blame her? She did just birth an as-yet to be identified number of pups. I know that there are at least 3, but there are probably more. I'll be able to do some investigating later on next week. At any rate, this morning I awoke to the sound of squealing. It would seem that the babies had found their collective voices and were crying out for mom.

Fun hamster facts: Hamsters become fertile within 4-5 weeks of age. Hamsters have a gestational period of 16 days. Hamsters can become pregnant immediately after giving birth. All of this combined is exactly why I only wanted one hamster! :) (Plus they are territorial and will fight if kept together.)

No comments: