Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Romance Novel

First off, Happy Valentine's Day. This post is only slightly related to the most loved/hated of holidays, but since it surrounds the "romance" genre I thought it would be a fun inclusion to all the other V-Day posts out there.

I guess a while back there was a deal where you could download a copy of a newer book (Giving Chase) for free to read on the various Kindle applications. Since we not only have iPhones, but also an iPad, we use the Kindle app quite frequently (Spencer especially. I prefer the "feel" of a real book). At any rate, he downloaded it because it was free and mentioned on a deal website he frequents. I innocently stumbled upon said download and decided to start reading. I made it through the first chapter, thoroughly enthralled in the story line, but wondering why it was so badly written. Being the impatient person that I am (I used to read the last chapter first because I couldn't wait), I looked it up on Amazon to learn a little bit about it. I've included the link above for your reference as well. Turns out said book is a romance novel. Not only that, it comes with an "explicit content" warning. Needless to say, I stopped reading and un-downloaded (is that a word? it should be) the book as fast as you can say "Mississippi."

So there you go. I may be the only person in recorded history who mistakenly began reading a romance novel, got drawn into the story even though it was badly written, and the voluntarily put it down once I figured out what it was. I guess I can't really recommend (or caution against) this book since I didn't really read that much of it, but I can only guess based on the warning that it's definitely not my thing. If it's your thing, the first chapter had me hooked so I guess that's good for this type of genre.

No comments: