Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

The 5k Challenge

About a month ago a good friend of mine told me that she wanted to run a 5k and was planning on running the upcoming "Storm the Bastille" as part of Milwaukee's Bastille Days festivities in early July. This occurred around the same time I started my new job which was motivating me to get in better shape because of the MCW sponsored wellness challenge (my department is very competitive with those challenges). For this particular challenge, we earn a point for every 10 minutes of physical activity and bonus points for doing things like taking the stairs or eating 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day. At any rate, since they were all so competitive and had immediately signed me up once I joined the department, I was looking for something to beef out my workouts a bit. So when she approached me with the idea, I didn't hesitate to say yes even though I haven't done any significant running since I was in high school (yikes). All of these things, in conjunction with the fact that if I utilize my YMCA membership 60 times in 6 months I would get $60 (20+ of those times I put off until June, the 6th month) means I've been logging a lot of miles at the gym on the indoor track or on the treadmill. Thus far it's been a challenging, yet rewarding experience.

Because it's been so long since I've chosen running (or jogging) as a form of exercise, I knew I would have to start out slow. It seems like most people (myself included) don't care much for running because they try to do too much too fast. They develop some sort of injury (in my case shin splints) or have such an awful experience on their first run that they abandon the idea and return to their easy chairs and tubs of ice cream (guilty). With these facts in mind and only 8 weeks to get my buns in shape, I chose to follow the "Couch to 5k" program, starting on week 2 since I was already doing a lot of Zumba. I can't say how grateful I am for this program. Without it I'm sure I would have crippled or given up long ago. Though the workouts are a challenge, I always make it through. Though parts of me ache that I didn't realize I never use (like my ankles and inner thighs), I've yet to get injured or develop shin splints. Plus, with all the varying between walking and running I feel like I'm not getting bored, which is my usual problem with running AND the workouts are only 30 minutes long, so I never have a good excuse for not doing them.

As for the Y, I have to go ~13 more times this month to qualify for the 60 times in 6 months deal. Thus, I go there to run 3x/week and do some sort of easier class like pilates or yoga, and alternate my non-running days with things like Zumba, racquetball, or a leisurely spin on the exercise bike with a good book. Though I'm not sure I can keep up with my go-to-the-Y-every-day-except-Sunday routine, I do think I will keep up with getting 30-60 minutes of exercise each day. Besides, that's now the recommended amount of physical activity we're supposed to get, and if you think about how many hours you spend just sitting around at work, driving, and home (11+ for me), it's hard to justify not getting a good workout each day. Plus, working out more frequently makes you feel good, helps you sleep, and improves your health. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that what started as a 5k challenge from a friend and a desperate attempt to get $60 from the Y has turned into a healthier, perhaps better, outlook on life.

How are you improving your health? Do you have any easy tips for eating healthy or getting more exercise in? Leave a comment.

1 comment:

Jessy said...

Hey Megan. Great Blog! I lost about 20lbs this past winter. I'm finally back to my pre-baby weight! Something that helped me was to keep track everything I ate. I did it all on this website... http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/ It's free and easy! I don't think we realize how quickly the calories add up. This put it all out there for me to see.