Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

And the Year Goes "March"ing On

Since it's March, I thought it would be nice to take a peak back on my New Year's goals and see how they were going. For the most part, I think I'm doing OK, but I'm sure I'm not quite doing everything I had hoped to do. So without further adieu,

Goal #1: Knit more. I am definitely doing this. I've even finished a few things and taught someone to knit. Unfortunately, since I'm also hanging out with more knitters, it means I'm near more yarn. That means that I'm buying more...which means my stash is growing. Also, I didn't finish any projects in February, but I did get closer so I'm going to count that as a win with room for improvement.

Goal #2: Read for fun. I am totally rocking this goal. I've read 3 books since the beginning of the year and have at least 3 more in progress, with more cued up to read. Of course, I'm not really sure if very many people would find The Jungle a "fun" read, but since it wasn't an assignment, it counts.

Goal #3: Bring my lunch to work. This pretty much never happens. I do, however, try to make healthier lunch choices and find ways to eat for free. For instance, we have lots of leftovers from other meetings. I call it the "student meal plan" (as in I plan on mooching off free food whenever possible). When things settle down at work, I will try to re-instate this goal.

Goal #4: Make better use of my YMCA membership. I'm totally rocking this one as well. Since starting my 10k training a few weeks back, I've been going at least 3x per week. Sure, I didn't really get going until February, but I did finally get going and hopefully it will stay that way.

Goal #5: Be more consistent with my scripture study. I'm still trying to be better about this. I was doing better for a little bit, then things got crazy again and I regressed. Oops. I guess it really is a constant struggle to stay on top of it.

Goal #6: Actually clean the house. So I had a job chart going in January and for a while, it worked. When I say it worked I mean that I did pretty much everything by myself. So now we're just back to cleaning when we can and my new mantra is "it's OK if it's messy." Life's a lot more enjoyable that way.

To recap, I'm doing pretty well at keeping up with my goals so far. A few are lacking, but that's to be expected. I think goals are great because they give us things to work towards, but one of the things I've learned by setting goals is that we have to be a little easy on ourselves when we don't quite do everything perfectly. It also helps to evaluate them and see if they are reasonable. For me, a couple are not really reasonable right now if I want to have any semblance of a life outside of work so a few of them are getting neglected. I'm OK with that, but still want to improve. The great news is that I can.

No comments: